The client was looking to optimize their infrastructure costs, which were running into millions of dollars per annum. They required a solution that could identify and address the root causes of high costs and optimize their infrastructure usage.
The client faced several challenges, including:
- Cloud Ops processes were not well-defined, resulting in no tagging of infrastructure to departments/products, hence no ownership, and many orphan infrastructure resources were found.
- Infrastructure resources were not shut down when not in use, resulting in higher costs.
- Provisioned capacity was higher than usage, with usage hardly reaching 25%.
- Very less usage of on-demand/serverless services.
To address the client’s challenges, DigiClave proposed a multi-phased approach to infrastructure standardization, which included the following:
- System Study: Conducted a system study to identify issues and document them to create an iterative execution plan.
- Fully Managed Services: Implemented phases with specific focus areas to address all issues utilizing fully managed services.
- Six-Month Program: Defined a six-month program to execute the plan effectively.
Our solution delivered the following benefits to the client:
- Annualized savings of $1 million by optimizing infrastructure usage and reducing costs.
- Well-defined cloud ops processes with infrastructure tagged to departments/products resulting in better ownership.
- Significant cost savings by shutting down infrastructure resources when not in use.
- Optimized provisioned capacity with usage increased to over 60%.
- Increased usage of on-demand/serverless services, resulting in further cost savings.